Arron Stanton Training

Friday, October 3, 2008

Where's the Wonder?

"Where's the wonder
As each day would start,
That sang with the dawn,
Ran away with my heart:
Where is it gone?"

These opening lyrics from the song, Wish You Were Here, struck me as I walked at the gym last night. I've had glimpses of this feeling in the past, usually associated with falling in love as sung in this Rome and Harold song as well as those times when I was on long meditation retreats but I've never had the feeling consistently day after day. How wonderful to wake up each morning with a sense of wonder and anticipation! 

But is it even possible? I have now been on my own five months since taking a sabbatical from the clinic in Lafayette. I don't have to worry about traffic or the weather and road conditions driving to and fro the clinic. I don't have the stress of diagnosing and coming up with appropriate treatment for one client after another. One would think I'd eliminated all the stresses in my life but still this feeling of wonder that starts in the morning and pervades the day eludes me.

The feeling is more accessible on a day like today when the sky is clear and sunshine is pouring down to illuminate the landscape. Light brings out colors and vivid images are hallmarks of the experience. This is at the core of my interest both in writing and in taking photographs, to stay alert to possibilities of wonder and joy.

No comments: