Arron Stanton Training

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Change sometimes too fast, sometimes slow

I did another portrait shoot with Linda and her family last Monday. I've processed six images from the shoot while still having to redo processing the Banthia images I want to burn on a DVD for the parents to take to Orlando next week. This photo of Linda was taken by my Sony HD camcorder that I had set to record on its own while I took still photos with the Canon 5D. The resolution is much smaller but the effect, as Linda commented when I sent her the photo, was "complimentary to my age." I need to learn to use the sharpening commands in Photoshop to soften the effect of the bright lights I use in studio shoots. A design consultant I saw who has a degree in photography and film from IU Bloomington made a similar comment. She asked me why I was using hard lights. I had gradually started using more hard lights in my shoots, not just for the background but for the foreground. With Linda's shoot I was careful enough to use only the soft box and an umbrella-filtered light for the faces. Before the clients came I took preliminary photos using manual camera controls and was surprised at the stunning clarity but once they got here I threw caution to the air and shot pellmell. The boy was uncontrollable and finally brought the backdrop down. The soft box light kept going out. I should have checked the images on the camera LCD but didn't, an almost fatal mistake. There is so much to learn and to do.

Meanwhile yesterday I went with Arron to Elite Martial Arts where I spoke with the owner who told me he wanted a commercial to draw more people to his center. He wanted a surprisingly artistic video, with a specific look and audio background. He may need additional documentary-style videos to actually show prospective customers what it is he does at the center. I have so far only been using iMovie putting off using FCP again. It's been four years or more since I learned to use FCP in NYC!

I'd lamented at the lack of drive in my desire to create commercial photography and videos. I need the structure of deadlines to keep me at the wheel. When structure comes I feel stressed out by all that I need to do to turn out a creditable product. The lesson perhaps is learning to go with the flow, to appreciate the down times as well as the up times and make the most of what I can do and do.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: