Arron Stanton Training

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Like Conquistadores of Old

Ingrid's Coffee

We had more snow yesterday. I stayed home, my typical hibernal Monday. I am tasting hardwired brain pathways. In just a few months habits become indomitable. I must drive to McDonald's for my brew those mornings I feel a need for extra umph! I must read my email before I can do anything else. Most egregious of all: I must take lunch at a buffet to get my afternoon production going. Aaaah! Tyrannized by dopamine!

My tiny rebellion for the day: I dug out Ingrid's Bodum French-style coffee maker, sloughed in two tablespoonfuls of Starbuck's Caffé Verona and six ounces hot filtered water and voila! Maybe an old path can revive some more desirable pathways. I doubt it. Life seems to me an endless struggle to reshape inherent patterns in life only few of which we can truly change. The best we can usually hope for is is to transform them that their frankly unhealthy impact becomes only slightly unhealthy!

But there's another way to use wine in old wineskins. We can use the daily, mundane struggles to move the waters, so to speak, and cast a tempest in a coffee cup. Conflict is energy. Why not use it constructively, use it to create new dopamine pathways. Instead of fighting it and putting oneself down, we can harness the energy and sail into new seas like the conquistadores of old. Without them we would not have coffee as we now enjoy in elegant French glass. Hardship for those Extremaduran Spaniards drove them to sail past the edge of the Old unto New Worlds leading to the global village we enjoy today.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: