Arron Stanton Training

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Container Herb Garden for Summer Treats

The morning promises to be as fair and beautiful as yesterday, and even more sunshine tomorrow! Yesterday afternoon, after a soak at the gym, I walked all around Keystone at the Crossing. The Fashion Mall was crowded with shoppers. I am always taken by how elegant and pretty the Simon mall is. The tile floor is always gleaming, there's a huge flower arrangement at one of the mall foyers, the shop windows dressed impeccably, and the shoppers, of course, walking fashion plates. There were a few Chinese couples dressed as I imagine they dress in the Chinese countryside but the many Asian young women are often very stylishly dressed, their glossy black hair framing perfectly made-up faces. From the looks of the mall and of the people there, one could hardly believe we were in a recession!
 
I walked to the top of the parking lot where there were no cars and shot the glass-and-stone-and-concrete skyscrapers on River Crossing. The sky was a radiant blue. The breeze was cool so I had on a hooded windbreaker. The wind gusted forcibly causing the fountain waters to wet the sidewalk. Geese posed as though they too were entranced by the weather on the meadow in front of the lake around which I usually walk. Yesterday was too pretty to confine myself to the lake. I walked all about. There is a kind power from ambulating on one's own. No glass between me and the world of sounds, sights and smell, I glory in the world bathed in springtime beauty. There were even moments similar to those I felt in 1986 when I visited California for the first time after my first Buddhist retreat. The heart was exposed. I saw a bird dart away from the car and the food it had in its beak fell. I felt its disappointment.
 
Back home, after borrowing my neighbor, Kelly's power washer, the deck glows like new again. Water-proofed and stained, it now looks like someone's leafy deck in some tropical paradise. Aside from impatiens in a large pot, I only have herbs in pots. Once they are bigger, I'll have plenty of herbs for salads, rubs and marinades! I have rosemary, basil (my favorite), tarragon, oregano, dill, fennel, several pots of Italian parsley, pots of mesclun and watercress. I toyed with the idea of growing tomatoes and zucchini, too, but the farmers' markets should more than amply supply what vegetables I'll want.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: