Arron Stanton Training

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Remarkable Random Relationships

An audio program on the Kaballah made me realize that the names we have for objects and people are basically expressions of relationship. In Kaballah  philosophy, everything stems not from God that people talk about as though they knew God. The world of experience radiated from ein sof or boundlessness. Our separateness from each other, each object's separateness from the rest of the physical world and we humans who walk it often oblivious of anything beyond our thoughts and agenda is an illusion created by the names we give ourselves and others. Relationships are integral to our being distinct and separate, expressing what mystics believe as the whole oneness of everything. Maybe this is why much as I enjoy my solitude these ordinary, often chance encounters yield such delight.

One such encounter was the the gym the other day. Having resumed exercising again just recently I am still becoming comfortable at Lifestyle as I felt at the old Bally where I had worked out since 1987. It closed last July. Lifestyle Fitness is a more spacious facility without the catwalk jogging trail or the water amenities. I can't get over how high the ceilings are, dwarfing my Lilliputian efforts at seizing control over my weight and body fat content. 

I had nodding or chatting friends at Bally. In the locker room I often tried my broken Spanish with the Honduran cleaning person, Luis. On the floor I knew a couple who had modeled for me and with whom again I chatted inanities that made the gym trip the social highlight of my day. I enjoy the silence and quiet of living and working alone but many days I get hungry for some kind of contact. 

At Lifestyle on Tuesday, while changing back to street clothes I struck up a conversation with a young guy who was flexing in front of the mirror. Edgardo is Mexican. He was three when his family moved to the States. He is 17 and still in high  school. Two years ago he was overweight and started working out. He now looked toned. He told me he got up at 4:30 on schooldays to go to the gym before school started. He wants to be a personal trainer and can hardly wait until he turns 18 when he can apply for an accreditation exam.

At Burger King today, I tried to buy a triple whopper from Harold, the assistant manager. He told me the sandwich was "very big. Are you sure that's what you want?" I changed my order to a double. Later he came around and asked me if the double whopper was enough. It was. Imagine a salesperson talking you out of a bigger order!

This morning I met the Banthias at the airport. They had spent the New Year break in Florida with their three children. When I learned about their trip last December I offered to drive them to the airport. Babula told me he already had plans. He and his wife were going to take the bus. Visha did not look forward to the two-hour trip by bus to the airport and quickly accepted my offer. Later Babu emailed me to say he had been trying not to get me involved because he did not want to impose on me. He and his wife are a pair. They must complement each other because they have been married almost 40 years, and this after a wedding their parents had arranged.

Relationships create stories and stories intrigue me. I can't see myself writing fiction however. I like the "found" stories I encounter by chatting up random people I meet when I venture outside my home most days but creating the plot myself does not attract me.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: