Arron Stanton Training

Thursday, July 9, 2009

File Storage: Hard drive, DVD, Blu-Ray versus Tape and Celluloid

Seagate came up with a replacement for my internal drive that failed last week. It contained all my photograph files. The model and travel shoots were all backed up to DVD but all the photos I took this year went kaput with the drive. My PowerMac still has the photos I took before 2007. I shall just have to move those files to my new Photo Drive (backed up to a RAID array). Moving raw files takes forever. I may have to spring for an eSATA card so the transfers and backups can go more quickly. I have been backing up files most of the past week.
 
The loss of files on a hard drive point to the risk of having tapeless video clips. With tape (or the old way of celluloid), you can save your files for longer although celluloid too degenerate with time. DVDs don't last forever either. I don't know the longevity of Blu-Ray although I suspect it is the same as DVDs.
 
I didn't mourn the loss very much because I feel that those files were just my apprenticeship files. As I move into professional work, securing files become more critical.
 
Little by little I am organizing my image files again. (I had organized them all going back to 1999 when I bought my Sony 1 MB digital camera. The next couple of years, I used a 4 MB Olympus. Canon has been my main camera the last seven years or so and I have been happy with the choice.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: