Arron Stanton Training

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Recovering from Digital Disaster

I decided against trying to recover my photo files from the failed HD via a Seagate affiliate and just move on. I did back up my model and most of my foreign travel photos. I am still discovering what I lost in the drive, like model contact notes, photography business files, etc. I organized the files on that drive just the day before it failed. I was so proud of myself: all my photography files organized into personal, travel and model folders going back to 1999!
 
Seagate did have an easy warranty-return procedure. I opted to pay $20 to get a replacement drive in two days (will probably mean I'll get it on Monday) and paid UPS label and packing (from the drive they are sending me: clever!). I am still waiting for my OWC RAID array that was supposed to save me from this disaster but itself ended up being defective.
 
The lovely thing about all this is how losing the files has been relatively easy. I credit Buddhist practice for this. The ultimate goal of practice is dealing with loss more critical than a mere hard drive!
 
I continued processing files from my trip to Hungary in 2004. Using the backup USB drive demonstrated how an internal SATA drive is so much faster! I think I'll wait to process any more photos until after I get the replacement drive back. I shall probably receive that the same day I get my RAID back-up array from OWC.
 
Meanwhile an Indian couple has invited me for lunch. Life is really largely what happens beyond what we plan to do, beyond what we spend our time thinking and worrying about!

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: