Arron Stanton Training

Saturday, July 11, 2009

To Dubrovnic on a Costa Cruise, the video, is done!

The video is done! "To Dubrovnic on a Costa Cruise" can be viewed at
gallery.me.com/karuna711/100262
 
This is the second video ever that I've completed. (I have dozens of uncompleted videos on my various drives and computers but only two are done.) The first was a simple edit, just joining together clips plus a beginning and closing title. This was, done on iMovie '09, is my "learning" video for getting back into video editing. It is practically a showcase (not in a spectacular way, but as a demonstration) of the various editing features of iMovie. I stuck to one transition for most of the video and tried out just one video effect (reverse). This was my first attempt at voice-over and working with audio just within iMovie, which surprisingly had pretty powerful and easy-to-do features, especially through it's Precision Editor window.
 
It's exhilarating! I can imagine how a "real" editor would feel upon finishing a full-length movie for theatrical release. I worked on this video for just over a week, doing 2 to 5 hours a day, but the learning and discovery aspects of editing this video was powerful even for this little amount of work. A mountain in labor, Cicero wrote, and out comes a mouse. Well, I hope it's a tad bigger or more significant than a mouse.
 
I welcome comments, criticisms, suggestions for improvement. I'll resist the thought of re-editing this video. I really feel I'm done with it and want to move on. I plan to do at least one more video in iMovie, maybe two, while also learning to use Apple's QuickTime Pro. I used QT to export the video to a 1280x720 widescreen "HD" format last night. iMovie worked through the night. It said it would take 5 hours for the export but the time was creeping up as the CPU started to lag behind the process. (No, no, no! Not yet time for a faster Mac!) I've been learning the usefulness of overnight tasking on the computer for CPU-intensive work like video compression and rendering.
 
I think I have decided on my next video editing project but I'm also planning my next video shoot. First I need to get the hang of green-screens but I am just about decided I am going to spring for a 1080p Sony handheld camcorder. By the end of summer I want to start capturing video directly into a RAID 0 drive. That's more money going out but the completion of this small project gives me for the first time a feeling my interest can morph into "real" business venture. Just not to forget why I am doing this: for joy, for sharing joy.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: