Arron Stanton Training

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Structure as Art

As I navigated the catwalk above Bally's workout floor this evening, my mind drifted to the business of photography.

I've mostly shot people since I came back from hiking in the Amalfi Coast. I have not even processed most of the photos I took on that trip. Shooting models became my focus.

I love capturing those fleeting emotions that people have on their faces. The models themselves are surprised at the varied expressions they show.

Before I started traveling and taking travel photos, before I started photographing models, in geology-unspectacular Indiana, I depended on flowers, trees and gardens for subjects. One of the few lenses I invested in after purchasing my Canon D20 was a macro lens which most of the time gathers dust in its leather case on my shelf. 

Yesterday morning, noticing the quality of the light in the garden I attached the macro lens and took pictures of what was blooming in the garden. The big show is over. Now individual plants come up with their show but not massed together as they were earlier in the season.

I've always loved Queen Anne's lace. I've allowed a plant to grow in the garden and every year it thanks me with three-foot high stalks topped by gorgeous lacy flowers. When magnified, the tiny individual flowers become visible. I have been photographing food. Now I want to re-explore macro photography, both topics I am told are not lucrative in an overcrowded field of stock photography. 

With the right light, flowers and other natural and man-made objects reveal their structure. Geometry is more than a science. It is a way of looking at lines, shapes and color just as one does with photography and videos. Colors are so dominant that they can ravish us into forgetting other elements of vision.

I have no shoots scheduled which should allow me time to finish the two last shoots I did. I also would like to go over my older photos and see what I have. Meanwhile, vacating my Broad Ripple office is coming along. I shall in effect be contracting my work space back to just my home. As I continue to shoot at home I am turning the whole house into a studio. After some necessary repairs I want to repaint the whole house with background and photo setups in mind.

There is so much more to learn. I have started blogging and enjoy learning about this now old technology. There are social networks, too, to explore. In creating my products I need to stay in touch with my other interests that combining them in various ways I can find my own unique niche in the universe.

No comments: