Arron Stanton Training

Friday, July 25, 2008

My concept for Duende Arts is continuing to take shape. 

Targeting the market of mobile devices was the theme of the last two NAB conferences I attended. Back home I became excited after shooting models that I focused the business on model shoots. 

On July 11, Apple released the 2.0 version of its iPhone OS, its new online hosting, and the App store. I was caught up in the problems caused by the switch from .mac to mobileme. I couldn't update my Apple-based website. I ended up starting with a new site from scratch which admittedly was a mixed blessing. The new website is better. I focused it on photography and eliminated my blogs that could still be accessed with a link on the Welcome Page. With the work I had to do rebuilding the site I didn't appreciate what Apple had done.

Tech gurus are hailing Apple's release of its new OS for the iPhone and iPod touch as a pivotal change in the market. Apple has opened the new system for third parties to develop software for these mobile devices. OS V2.0, unlike similar smart-device platforms like market leader, Blackberry's RIM, is actually a full-featured computer OS. The iPhone is a small computer in itself with full access to the Internet. With the App Store, Apple has turned the page. It has opened its software to third-party companies to develop programs for it. 

With access to the Internet, mobile device owners can access not only my public folder on iDisk but also the download galleries I make for each model or photo shoot subject. 

The other day, I was talking to the mother of one of my models. She had accidentally trashed the message I sent her through mobileme.com giving her access to her daughter's image download website. I located the portfolio on her Windows laptop. The photos were blurred and not sharp as they appear on my Mac monitors. I had my iPod Touch in the car but didn't think of showing her the images there. 

We are limited by shibboleths that no longer hold. I need to think about photography along with my other interests like videos, Apple and Adobe software so that I can create my market niche. Unlike many photographers I don't do weddings or other family events. I don't do corporate videos. At the outset I wanted to use the Internet as basis for creating media products, for displaying and for distributing them. I also have a long-standing interest in text products.

I have always described myself as an outsider. I don't join mainstream groups well so I need to create my own place in the Internet-driven, digital-media marketplace.

Launching myself into photography was not the reason I took this sabbatical from clinical work. My main interest was to develop creativity. I even say that in my mission statement.

Walk the path and you'll encounter companions with whom you can make new realities. I have to break with the shibboleth holding me to what has already been done. I need to stay creative while gaining focus. Taking time away from the daily grind is actually helpful. When I come back I can look at what I'm doing with refreshed eyes that I define my own unique vision.



No comments: