Arron Stanton Training

Monday, July 14, 2008

Change Comes on Little Cat Feet

We traipse merrily along our daily routines secure in our unfounded belief that things are permanent: we'll walk this way like this every day of our lives.

Not so. If we're lucky, each day brings its daily bread of surprises and we are forced to change. Change is more constant than permanence. Change gives us hope that we achieve what we don't yet have. People who don't change lie underground, the feast of worms and bugs.

But change discombobulates. We have to get our bearings again; we have to take notice of where we are. Contrary again to unfounded belief, attention is not so easy. It is one of the most painful things we have to do because we don't do it often enough. To pay attention we have to climb over dead bodies of resistance to get to the cashier. Attention requires boldness and invention. It disrupts our inclination for mindless living.

Apple switched over from .mac to me.com over the weekend. They started working on the switch Thursday afternoon. Unaware of what Apple was doing I worked all that day updating my site on iWeb. I posted all the photo shoots I had finished processing with Aperture. I was so proud of myself. I hit "publish" and got one error message after another. I checked the .mac site and the notice came up: regular maintenance going on. Regular? 

Throughout the evening and the following day, July 11, when Apple started offering their new 3G iPhone with automatic update of me.com data, I couldn't access the site. Each time I tried to publish I got error messages for my trouble. I tried doggedly over the weekend. No dice.

Maybe it is time to rethink. I have learned a lot about websites and blogs from using iWeb. Maybe it is time to create my website with Dreamweaver and post my blog on blogger hosts and social websites as I intended to do anyway. Here is change again, that birthing process to move us along to where we want to go.

Change comes on little cat feet, as Carl Sandburg once wrote, but without little kitties the big cats don't come.

No comments: