Arron Stanton Training

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Class and Classic

I should have all the Model Portfolios on the web site live by the end of the day so I can post the whole site to Duendearts.com tomorrow. I still have Joe's photo shoot to process this afternoon. I did finish Abby's photo shoot yesterday evening.

I probably won't have any Photo Essays on the website when I launch it tomorrow. These are for me the heart of what I want to do. I'll take my time designing these. I'll also start learning to create the website using Flash. I hope to know enough about Flash-based website in two months. Flash is central to my marketing plan that includes the deployment of Flash videos as well as photographic images.

I have not scheduled any more shoots but my mind is busy planning them. I want to shoot on the Indianapolis Art Museum grounds and at the White River Park downtown. The museum shoot should produce some classic shots against the classic background of the French-inspired Lilly mansion and the garden on the slope above the White River. The White River Park shoot will showcase downtown Indianapolis. With that shoot I shall be exploring other niches and markets.

I am also planning studio shoots with a more elaborate setup like pieces of cloth with which to drape the model, on the props and background. I continue to experiment with light.

Meanwhile I am shooting non-people images just for my own enjoyment. I like to photograph plates of food and flowers have always been a favorite subject matter. I delayed purchasing the D5 full-frame camera so the $300 instant-rebate offer is gone. I was not sure I wanted to get that camera which is over two years old but I do want to start shooting with full-frame CMOS that don't need the images adjusted by 1.6. I also want to shoot with more professional lenses with larger apertures.

Checking out the websites of other photographers makes me realize how the Internet is flooded with beautiful and beautifully photographed images. I am not too worried but must keep going in the direction I want to go for the career to start making me some income. While there are many great photos on the Internet, most of the photographers don't have the goals I have for these images.

Processing Abby's photos yesterday I was impressed by the patience and sensitivity of one so young. She is only 13. Shooting her certainly opened another avenue for me. Most of the images that I posted on her portfolio were taken outdoors, at the lake here and the lake at the Crossing. After shooting with just natural light for years I am rediscovering my love for the results.

There is definitely more that I want to learn about commercially productive photography. I continue to improve my photography technique while broadening the scope and depth of my options for images. While I am occasionally plagued by doubt I am mostly riding high on the excitement of what I am doing. I sense there is more at the edges of what I know waiting to be discovered. It's at the edge that we have the greatest possibility to grow.

No comments: