Arron Stanton Training

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Big Cat Changes

I still have not figured why I couldn't update my iWeb-created site, Duende Arts. Apple emailed me on Monday but the fixes Erica suggested didn't work. I spent yesterday morning trying out the British web construction software, Rapidweaver. It is fast and has a built-in FTP client. There's a built-in Flash-slideshow-maker that is simplicity itself to use. It has more themes than iWeb but positioning text and photos on the pages is more complicated. I would almost need to learn CSS and XHTML so why not enter the lion's den?  I could purchase Rapidweaver, a bargain at $59 for a web download, but I think I'll start learning Flash instead. I have been holding on to the David Morris Visual QuickProject book on creating web sites with Flash CS3.

Apple's switch is just what I needed to push me to do actions I always wanted to do but didn't want to take the time to learn. Lynda.com even has a video tutorial on how to maximize blogging on blogger. Video tutorials work best for me. I continue to sing the praises of Lynda. Having a subscription to the web site is like having my own personal software tutor.

I finished processing Scott and Chanté's shoot last night. Whew! I told Linda and Abby when they left yesterday I would have their photos on a web site by Friday next week. I need to re-think how much time I need to process after a shoot. I thought I would start breezing through the processing after doing a few. I am developing a quicker workflow but it still takes time to go through the photos. Two weeks, I think, is a more realistic time frame.

Shooting Abby, the 13-year-old daughter of the office manager at BREO, is my second foray shooting a female model. Gosh, it's been years since I've dated a young woman. Linda, my next-door neighbor, has been my female companion the last 10 years. I work easily with mothers but women models are still a newfangled adventure. I have gotten used and like what feels like the easier connections with men. I don't have to worry too much about saying something to hurt their feelings. I think of men as less easily destroyed by comments. It's all in the head though but I prefer traditionalist ways of seeing the sexes.

Today I am shooting Scott. Arron called yesterday as I was shooting Abby and asked if he could come today instead of Saturday. That's fine. Joe from Ichiban emailed me this morning. He is coming tomorrow. That'll make my 11th shoot. 

At today's shoot, I'll take fewer photos and work more carefully with lighting and composition. It is sunny but warm. I plan to shoot at the swimming pool, at indoor locations, and in front of the white background.

Shucks! The Canon D5 is backordered at both Abe's of Maine and B&H in NY. The $300 instant rebate runs out on Saturday. I still vacillate between purchasing the top-of-the-line Canon professional camera, the EOS-IDS Mark III, and the older, much cheaper 5D. Eventually I shall need the Mark III so why not go for that? I'll need wider-aperture lenses, too.

The adventure goes on, sometimes like a big cat crashing through the jungles, felling trees, stomping everything in its path.

No comments: