Arron Stanton Training

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Boeuf Bourguignon from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking

It'll be decades again before I fix this Julia Child recipe. The kitchen has no vent outlet to the outside. Browning meats in fat disperses grease everywhere. Afterwards I have to wash everything in the kitchen—canister tops, countertops, even the floor. It is ridiculous work. But the result is worth it! I took two days to cook this dish. First I cooked the beef in the wine in the oven and let it cool overnight. I skimmed the fat off the top of the sauce while cooking the pearl onions, mushrooms, and turnips separately and putting them all together. The turnips are my addition. Turnips are plebeian compared to the haute origins of the wine-cooked beef but gently fried in butter and olive oil, turnip chunks hold their own. I love the snippets of cress atop the turnip, and their slightly bitter taste adds complexity to the total gustatory experience.

Posted via email from Duende Joes

No comments: